Hollywood Be Thy Name?

Hollywood Be Thy Name?
Hollywood Be Thy Name?

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Salt

I have never been a salt fan, and thus salt has never been a fan of me. I think, when I was about 9 years old, I had my fill, when I spent an afternoon with my friend Johnny downing little miniature canisters of Morton's Salt! Who knows where we got them, but like future AA meeting attendees we popped those mini tops and downed shot after shot after shot of salt.
I get it, salt brings flavor, but too much...outch!
Probably for that reason, though I will never be sure...I gave up salt as I got older. No, I did not become Mr. Whole Foods/Trader Joes (though realities of life/health keep nudging me in that direction today) I just discovered that if one did not add salt, they became sensitive to the flavor that was already there.
Cool! So my life has been going fine since my Morton's binge in the early 1970's, and the salt shaker on the many tables I have been fortunate to grace have been either decorations (a turkey, or Christmas Tree - depending on the time of year) or some other shape, including something that looks like it comes from a diner in my youth. Regardless, all salt has been to me is something that I pass around or across the table. I am sure salt did not care too much for me so we kept our to our respective selves.
Yet, now salt is making his move....yes, quiet as he has been for years, I was shocked when he snuck into Starbucks. Why have salt in Starbucks!? I do not know...but when my daughter asked for a caramel mochiato (and no, I do not order what I cannot spell) with salt...they gave it to her! "I'll have a Cafe' Mocha, Soy, No Whip, With a $100 bill as a cup holder" got me everything, except the latter item, as well as a weird look from the boy/girl at the register who is saving his/her money to become a girl/boy - but that is another story....
So, salt is back. Salt has left the vat of french fries at Mickey D's, and the tables across America and has now tip toed into Starbucks. I have now heard about it on ice cream....
Okay, salt...you win this one...you have successfully "shaken" me for once!

No comments: