Hollywood Be Thy Name?

Hollywood Be Thy Name?
Hollywood Be Thy Name?

Thursday, March 31, 2016

We Need to Love like Starbucks

    I try so very hard not to get wrapped up in the political tension that sometimes arises, but my humanity comes into play and I sometimes fail and release some of that tension among friends on social media.  Thanks to a clergy colleague I had a nice discussion about this and a re-focusing of my attention.  In short, as an Episcopal priest I feel called to love and support all of God's people and that includes people from both sides of the political aisle.

     Parishioners who hear my sermons will know I have only once preached a sermon that went "political" and leaned ever so slightly, but noticeably, to one side.  That brought forth the tension in that congregation and showed me who was Democrat and who was Republican merely by the responses I received which were, thankfully, all surrounded with love and allowed me to dialogue with each of the people which was a good result.

   One of my frustrations, which my friend helped me to temper, is how many Episcopal clergy wear their allegiance to the Democratic party on their sleeve.  Mind you, this is not about the party.  My parents were staunch Democrats as I was growing up.  I cast my first vote for Jimmy Carter (who was beaten by Ronald Reagan in that election) and my daughter interned this past summer for Hillary Clinton. As you can see I do have some comfort with the political left. Having said that, I encountered President "W." Bush on a few occasions and he, while serving as our President, did an unasked for kindness to one of my children.  I am also a fan of W's dad, and have even corresponded with "H.W." and thought well of Mitt Romney back when he was running.

   My point is not that I flip between parties but that I try to find good in people though I may disagree with their politics.  And sometimes I find that a person from another political party might have the best characteristics for a job.  Long ago I gave up using my political party as a Team Sport, and I think my fault is in my desire that other people would do the same.

   Still, and respectfully, I think my Episcopal clergy friends fall short in this category.  If you are not a Democrat they then put you into as close to a category to "Hitler" as they can.  News flash - not everyone can be "Hitler," and my same friends who post on social media their frustration over their sinking parish attendance are the same ones who I read quoting MSNBC in the sermons more than the Gospels.

    Then there is Starbucks - and believe it or not I am getting close to both my conclusion and my point!  Starbucks who has made it very clear that they are trying to be "the other thing" in people's lives.  Now that "church" is not the place for everyone to gather socially, or do good volunteer work, etc. Starbucks actively competes to be that place for people.

    Recently the company took out a full page add showing negative words on one side of a page like "Exclusion," "Vitriol," "Cowardice," and more.  On the other side were words like "Leadership," "Respect," "Courage," and more.  The point of the add and a followup comment I saw quoted from the CEO of Starbucks elsewhere was the call for us to wake up and look at what this election season is pulling us towards, reminding us that we are better than this, and that we have a choice on how to engage the other in better, more civilized, ways.

    Yet while this post is shared occasionally on social media with "likes" and affirmative comments I watch my Episcopal clergy friends and their congregants continue playing to the "other" side of the page....for instance in the same post decrying Donald Trump's mean-spirited ugliness I read as a good Episcopal parishioner referring to Trump as a "big fat jerk!"

Hello pot...let me introduce you to the like colored kettle.

     So whether you like their coffee or not it is Starbucks, that competitor in being "that other place" for folks, who is stepping up and saying "let us not play into this and reduce all of our selves down to the lowest level."

   Yet should not this be coming from the original other place...our churches, and most importantly our clergy?   Yes we need to uphold people's rights including their sexuality and gender choices, we have to reach out and help the disenfranchised, but even Jesus who said that everything is about "love" reminds us to "love our neighbor," and when queried by a lawyer Jesus reminds us that our neighbor is actually that person who we do not like.

Hello...Democratic Episcopalian...meet your other, Donald Trump. Now, love him.

Hello...Republican Episcopalian...meet your other, Hillary Clinton,  Now, love her.

What a wonderful world it will be if we can serve as an example of our faith to others.

What a wonderful church we will be if we do the hard work of showing love towards those whose policies and actions we hate.

What a wonderful opportunity that clergy have to show their flocks how to live Christ's love.

How sad, in this case, that a coffee house company does better than the church.

So, friends, the Good News is that God never gives up on us, and the world provides us plenty of opportunities to live our faith.  So drink your cup of coffee, wake up, and be the church!

Love,

Your EpiscoPAL - Peter+

No comments: